The beauty of voice harmony is quite a wonder. I'm always amazed at talent...it's essence...what it says about humanity, what it might say about transcendance...the other. Harmony however, speaks about the equation of talent...about being equal, while distinctively different.
I was just listening to the weekly "Prairie Home Companion" radio show, and they regularly feature harmonic voice pieces...basics you know, bass, baritone, tenor, alto and soprano. It's beautifully simple, and it spoke to me...well sang to me!
Each of us is given our own key, our octave if you will. Some are quite talented of course, and the balance are perfectly pitched for our own ears, particularly when accompanied by a fine shower orchestra.
Paul McCartney co-founded the fab four...the Beatles, and his harmonies with John Lennon created frenzied fan behavior. He later wrote a song, "Ebony and Ivory" and performed it along with Michael Jackson. A tribute to harmony, a salute to the value of the individual and the beauty of the combination. Obviously the song's image is the key board, which indeed is visually incredible...88 perfectly aligned and entwined keys, that connect to 88 beautiful tones.
Each key has its own voice and can be combined with other keys for perfect harmony and resonance. Moreover, American jazz pioneers proved that even atonal sounds have their own special beauty...off beat rhythms can be respected and cherished.
Millions of hues make up our color, countless views form our consciousness, and in every mix harmony can be found, art can be created. Beauty is there...appreciation is indeed the choice of the beholder! I choose not to criticize art (talent) that I don't fully comprehend...I know the beauty and the harmony is there, even if I can't see it. May each of us see more harmony in 2013.
No comments:
Post a Comment