I promised myself just to be fun here, but I decided to compromise for just a moment!
The talking heads are talking a lot about what the numbers say to the two parties, and how they will find their relevance, but here's the real Kennedyesque question: What does the incredible close popular votes mean to each of us as individuals? In other words, "ask not what your country can do for you..."
Well, you could say we have a balance of opinion, or you could say we are quite polarized, or even gridlocked! On the other hand you could say that we need to find some way to get past all of this rhetoric (thank goodness the ads have stopped) and make some progress.
In fact that maybe exactly what we need to do as individual committed citizens. Think compromise, think moderation. First step, talk to our neighbors and friends without a mindset of I'm right and your wrong; and discuss creative solutions to our challenges.
Second step, think about sharing those creative ideas and take the time to write our representatives and say, "hey you, walk across the aisle, would you? Find some civility, and look for ways to get things done!" Our elderly and our young NEED you to do a good job of finding common ground."
BTW - I talk to my Dad from time to time. He died when I was very young, so he only talks back when he has something profound to say or is struck by sincere curiosity. I mentioned that our President, who happens to be an African American was re-elected and defeated a strong contender who happens to be a Morman. Dad said, "very cool, but I don't know what religion African American is."
No comments:
Post a Comment