Soon after graduation, Rob gave me a call and advised me that his first career move would be to work at a guest ranch in Colorado for the summer, where he would be a "wrangler" (horse manager and trail ride leader) by day and a "troubadour" (mandolinist in a bluegrass band) by night. "Works for me", says I, as long as I am not providing funding, enjoy!" Following the summer gig, Rob called to let me know he would be working as the Wrangler for an Elk Hunting Guide in the fall! "Sounds good, have fun" I encouraged. I have some intricate and interesting watercolored sketches he did, during that adventure (making fine use of the investment in his education).
In January of the same year, Rob gave me a call. (I've always been pleased that he calls from time to time, frequently to ask for advice, which is occasionally heeded! Rob announced that he had made a career decision (finally). The general leaning had been toward teaching art full-time and continuing to paint and so on, and I presumed that was what I was about to hear.
Rob said, "I think I want to be a Cutting Horse Trainer"! Whaddaya think Pop?" LONG PAUSE...and I have forgotten exactly what I said, but I believe it was something encouraging to whatever he wanted to do, but I suspect the tone was missing. I know I was thinking deep inside, "is something wrong with my boy?"
Fast forward 10 years, Rob is in fact managing and showing Cutting Horses. If you're wondering what a Cutting Horse is, well that's one in the photo below and Rob is the fellow atop.
Rob entered this world by searching the web for the best trainers in the country...the epicenter for 'Cutting" happens to be in Texas, near Fort Worth. So Rob worked for a couple of the top people in the sport for a few years, then was hired by some fine folks to manage their horses. Those fine folks happen to be a couple from California (the husband is a major film producer) think The Dark Knight and about 100 other films.
Rob splits his time between their ranch in the Santa Barbara area and another near Fort Worth, and traveling all over the place to show the horses, including his own mare. Last show (10-2012): Lyon, FRANCE, Yep you heard it right. (He called ol' Pop for attire advice for dinner at a famous chef's 5- star restaurant while there.)
Finally to wrap up this proud Pop rant, Rob is still finding time for art. How I can't imagine. He won an award and the placement of one of his pieces in the Western Modern Art show, currently exhibiting in Tucson. It's called Traffic...
No comments:
Post a Comment