Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Slang for Swag, Seriously?

Slang fads are all the rage, all the time, right? You can't have swag if you don't have current slang, right?

I've always found it fascinating how slang fads come and go. Most become part of our language for a while then fade (but not soon enough), right? If you're using an outdated slangerization you're not cool.  It's hard to keep up...I know, right? 

Neat, keen, bitchin', groovy, bad, bad a__...on and on ad nauseam. Groovy sucked from the start and didn't last long...until Austin Powers revived it to help us see how stupid we are capable of sounding...wait suck and all its derivatives, that's more yet, right? seriously?  Get out!

It does seem that cool has some kind of classic sense to it though, right? I'm not sure if cool's cousin chill is considered a classic, NOT! I wonder if this is just an English language phenomenon or is it universal.  Certainly the word cliche is of French derivation, so perhaps at least the romantic language speakers are into it, right?

After all the French have forever said n'est ce pas, roughly meaning "isn't it", right?  The Spanish have said "verdad" after just about every other sentence forever, translated loosely as "correct", right?

Perhaps your getting the point...I am sick to death of "right" at the end of every statement.  Do we need that much affirmation? 

By the way, who initiates these fad terms? Probably high school students. I gave credit to a sixth grade classmate for coming up with "neat", but my reach was rather limited at the time. Nonetheless, Roland started neat!

NOW, I would like to start a new American slang term for 2012, but I am not creative enough to do so, so I am borrowing from the French.  Let's finish sentences with d'accord, pronounced dahcore, meaning of accord or agreement, d'accord? You can add some emphasis if you like and say, "Je sais, d'accord" -- in other words, I know, right? D'accord is really cool, d'accord? BTW the French often say "oui, d'accord" if you would like to increase your international swag!

I'm looking forward to viral adoption of this 2012er. We will all sound so coold'accord? 







No comments:

Post a Comment